Tuesday, March 11, 2014
08:15 a.m. Registration & Breakfast
08:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Program
HCBA Conference Center, 2nd floor, 100 Pearl Street, Hartford
Rule of Law or Wild, Wild West – an examination of the way state agency hearings are conducted in Connecticut and what can be done to improve the decision making process. Attorneys Mary Alice Moore Leonhardt and Nicholas J. Harding will provide valuable information on current hearing procedures, common issues, and best practices for resolving problems related to the current process, and how legislation introduced in the 2014 legislative session to adopt a centralized office of administrative hearings would benefit attorneys and their clients by assuring greater fairness and impartiality. The program will answer questions such as:
- What are the problems/issues in the current administrative hearing system that should be fixed
- How would an office of administrative hearings solve these problems/issues?
- Why should Connecticut consider implementing a centralized office of administrative hearings to conduct?
- Have centralized offices of administrative hearings worked in other states?
- Would adopting a centralized office of administrative hearings require amending the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act and, if so, how?